Have you ever dreamed of having an hour-glass body? If working out is not enough you probably have heard of waist training. Waist training is molding your body in a tight special piece of cloth. A lot of women wear their waist trainer whenever they want. The longer you wear this waist trainer, the sooner you will be able to get that hour-glass body. Even sleeping with a waist trainer can help you get the results sooner. There are different kinds of waist trainers in the market. They also come in different sizes and colors for you to choose from.
Sleeping with waist trainer
A waist trainer, or also known as a corset, was first used in the late 1500s to the early 1600s. Women during this time are doing their best to have a smaller waist. Because back then, women are considered beautiful if they have a smaller waist. But not everyone was able to survive this kind of fashion trend. It is because of the material used and the hassle in wearing them. It takes two people to set up a waist trainer or a corset on one woman.
Nowadays, waist trainers are made to be comfortable and at the same time functional. And it can be worn by the owner by herself. It needs a little bit of effort though, but it is better than having two people struggling in wearing the waist trainer for you. Waist trainers can help make every woman feel comfortable while they are trying to achieve that hourglass body.
Sleeping with a waist trainer can be a challenge. But modern waist trainers are made to be flexible so that you can still move however you want. It will also allow your skin to breathe and move freely without any pain. But if you are still having a hard time sleeping with a waist trainer on, below are some tips for you to follow and sleep comfortably with a waist trainer on.
- Must be the right fit – What is the point of wearing a waist trainer if it is not your size. There are a lot of women tend to go for the size smaller than theirs. This is not advisable because waist trainers are made to slowly train your body to have an hourglass figure. It takes a few weeks or a few months for your body to be able to get used to the figure you are trying to get. It is also not advisable to get a waist trainer that is too loose. It defeats the purpose of a waist trainer and it will not be able to get the results that you always wanted. If you are planning to get a waist trainer, have it fit by a professional so that you will not. Sizes will depend on the material being used. There are some waist trainers that run largely because of the tightness of the material. And there are waist trainers that run small because the material is not as tight as the others.
- You must be able to breathe with your waist trainer – Waist trainers are understandably tight. But it doesn’t mean that you are not allowed to breathe with your waist trainer. Modern waist trainers are tight but it can still allow you to breathe comfortably wherever and whenever you are wearing it. And the right size really does matter. If you want to sleep with a waist trainer, you should be able to breathe normally to avoid future complications.
- Break in your waist trainer before wearing them regularly – Just like new shoes, we need to wear them around the house so that we will be able to get the feels of it. It will also give your shoes a chance to mold according to the shape of your feet. The same goes for waist trainers. Not everyone has the same kind of body size and type. If you have a brand new waist trainer. Wear it for at least 3 to 5 hours a day before wearing them for longer hours. Most especially if you are going to sleep with them.
- Know your comfortable sleeping position – All of us have our preferred sleeping position. We get to sleep peacefully and comfortably according to the position we want to be in. And if you are planning to wear a corset while sleeping, your position will matter.
Sleeping Position Matters
- Back Sleepers – “If you normally sleep on your back, when wearing a waist trainer you may find that your pelvis and hips can sag down, particularly if your mattress isn’t very supportive or dips in the middle. The key to making your sleep experience more comfortable is to support the curve in your lumbar area, in the lower back. Use small pillows or rolled up towels beneath the small of your back as well as under your knees. This will take the pressure off your back and help distribute your body’s weight more evenly.” – hourglassangel.com
*Additional tip: Use a small pillow on your head area. This is to avoid misalignment of your spine and trachea. It will also allow you to breathe comfortably*
- Side Sleepers – Sleeping on your sides while wearing a waist trainer may be a challenge. Because you will need to find your balance, you need to engage your core, and you need more pillow support to avoid rolling over. What you will need is a body pillow. Women who went through pregnancy will give you a guaranteed review that a body pillow is one of the most comfortable pillows that you will ever have. There are two types of body pillows: U-shaped pillow and the long rectangular pillow. It supports your entire body and keeps it on the position that you want to sleep on.
- Tummy Sleepers – If you prefer to sleep on your tummy, there are some things that you need to know about it. First is that sleeping on your tummy is not advisable. But if you are really comfortable with it, you better use the latex kind of waist trainer, according to hourglassangle.com. Because if you are going to use the ones with the steel bone, it might hurt you due to the bones poking on your skin. Second is to try sleeping without a pillow. This is to keep the alignment of your spine and as well as prevent more stress on the back of your neck and your lower back. If you can’t sleep without a pillow, try using a pillow topper. It is thin and still can make you feel as if you still have a real pillow; but thinner.
- Consider the surface tension of your mattress and the cushioning of your pillow – Before you even buy yourself a waist trainer, you should also know how firm or soft your mattress is. Because the mattress will be the one that is going to support your body when you are going to sleep with your corset on. And for your pillows, there are different shapes and sizes for you to choose from. It is for you to find the right one to support your entire body while you are sleeping with your waist trainer on.
- Expect some issues during your first few nights with a waist trainer on – If you are new to wearing a waist trainer, expect that there are few discomforts during the first few nights. Your body is still adjusting to the way the waist trainer works. And it molds your body into the shape that you wanted. But do not expect that you will get a 100% that you really wanted. Because it will always depend on your body type. And not everyone has a naturally wide set of hips. At least with a waist trainer, it will help you emphasize your female features bit by bit.
It takes a little bit of sacrifice in order for us to achieve the body that we desire. Discipline has a huge role when it comes to this kind of situation. We need to work harder to be able to reach what we want. And when it comes to our body, we need to watch over the food that we eat and keep a physically active and healthy lifestyle. For women, waist trainers can help in speeding up the results that we want. We can sleep with our waist trainers on because it is the only time that our body is relaxed.
Benefits of Wearing a Waist Trainer While Sleeping:
- Good body posture: The tight features of a waist trainer can force your body to be in an upright position, which is the best position for us to do. Keeping the spine aligned can help our blood circulation flow smoothly. A good posture can also help boost our self-confidence because of our upright position. Also, when your body position is at the right angle, you will be able to breathe properly and comfortably. It is ironic because waist trainers are tight and can sometimes make you breathe difficultly. This is because you are not yet used to the feeling of maintaining an upright position. But in the long run, you will be able to get used to it. And soon enough if you can go on without a waist trainer, you will feel more confident with your body posture.
- Accentuate female features: If you really want to look sexy in that bodycon dress, wearing a waist trainer can help. There are waist trainers that are seamless so that no one will notice that you are wearing them under your clothes. Wearing them while you are sleeping can also help in emphasizing your female features. Showing off those body curves can help boost up your confidence.
- Weight control: Waist training can also help control your appetite. Imagine you are eating at a party, and your pants can no longer fit because your belly has expanded way too much. It goes the same way in waist training. It can help you control the amount of food that you eat. This is also for you to sleep with a stomach that is not too full and not too empty. Just enough for you to have a good night sleep.
- Postpartum waist tightening: Women who went through pregnancy have experience in having a postpartum belly. It is advisable that after giving birth, you wear a girdle or a waist trainer. This can help in preventing your tummy to bulge and look like as if you are still pregnant. After at least 3 months of giving birth, wearing a waist trainer while sleeping is already advised. This is to speed up the results and keeping your tummy tight.
- Bustline support: Women who have larger breasts will thank waist trainers later. It adds more support and prevents back pain in women who have larger features. Aside from helping the body in keeping itself in shape, it can help your breasts from giggling and can prevent stress on the back. There are waist trainers that have built-in bust support. This is for you to no longer wear a bra while you are wearing a waist trainer. And there are some waist trainers that don’t have. But it still has a huge role in supporting your breasts even if the waist trainer and your bra are separated from one another.
- Spine alignment: There are people who are suffering from spinal curvature. It is because of their poor body posture or it is hereditary. Traditional body braces are uncomfortable to use. And it can be very uncomfortable for the wearer. But with modern waist trainers can now replace the traditional body brace. Because it serves the same function; it helps straighten up and correct the alignment of your spine. And the great thing about waist trainers for people who are suffering from spinal misalignment is that they can sleep with them comfortably.
Just like other things, waist trainers have its disadvantages. But these disadvantages are minimal and can still be fixed. These disadvantages can be seen and felt during your first few weeks in waist training.
Here are a few of the disadvantages of wearing a waist trainer
Difficulty in breathing
Waist trainers are tight because it compresses the middle part of your torso. And in the middle part of your torso is where your diaphragm is located. The diaphragm is responsible for the expanding and the retracting of our lungs. Too much compression from the waist trainer will make it difficult for our diaphragm from expanding and retracting. Thus it will be difficult for us to breathe.
There are some waist trainers that are too stiff because of the steel that is being sewn in the fabric. And there are waist trainers that have steel bones installed. And it is one of the reasons why some women experience bruising. Although these steels are flexible, there are still people who are sensitive to hard or still materials.
One of the many reasons why women think that they are suffering from wearing a waist trainer because they tend to choose the wrong size. Every waist trainer has a different style and a different design. And the sizes will always vary according to the design that you chose. Our bodies are different from the other girls. Therefore you need to go to the physical store and have the right kind of waist trainer and the right size. This is also to avoid misusing the waist trainer.
“When you use waist trainers to reduce your waist size, it puts extreme pressure on these organs.” – thekewlshop.com
If you are eating while you are wearing your waist trainer, you may experience acid reflux. This is because it interrupts the natural way in digesting your food. In order for this not to happen, try eating slower than usual to avoid acid reflux.
It takes time for you to get used to wearing a waist trainer. Even though waist trainers were first introduced in the 16th century, people are still wearing it up to this date. Not just for fashion purposes, but also for keeping the body in its proper position. It may be uncomfortable at first, but in the long run, you will be able to get used to the feeling of wearing it. There are different kinds of waist trainers in the market for you to choose from.
There is nothing wrong in making yourself look beautiful. Achieving the body that you always wanted can be done with the use of a waist trainer. And sleeping with them can speed up the results. And before you sleep with them, you should do a little bit of research on how to sleep with it comfortably.
People have their own preference; this is why there are different variations of waist trainers. Although there are disadvantages in wearing a waist trainer, all you need to do is to research the pros and cons of a waist trainer. This is for you to be able to prepare yourself in wearing a waist trainer. It can also avoid discomfort and as well as keep your training as comfortable as possible.
Pearl Jenuvaviv is a fitness expert and a fitness consultant. She has been in the fitness industry for the past 15 years. She is also one of the garment advisors for fitness brands and brands that also sell active wears. She is also one of the designers of the active wear for H&M, Forever21, Gap, and Victoria’s Secret.